The same customer that requested the Jake and Rainicorn A4 Compendium also asked for a BMO case for her Nintendo 3DS XL. The design for this was easy, BMO being the perfect shape for a case. :) The challenge to this particular creation was construction and assembly.
First off, the 3DS XL is pretty, well 3D. I usually work with tablets which are pretty flat so a sleeve is suitable. However, the 3DS is quite thick, so a sleeve would not suffice. It would have looked really ugly and the material would bulge all over as it would need to accommodate for the added thickness. So I had to figure out a way to make a holder. But first, I needed a model to test that my holder would work. I've got a Nintendo DS but that's way, way smaller so I ended up building my own 3DS:
The inside holder part of the case was the next part I tackled. My customer also wanted a few pockets for game cartridges, so here's what I came up with:
After this was done, I started on the cover. I decided to embroider the entire cover on. The main reason for this was because I couldn't find any felt that was the colour of BMO and it would have taken a LOT of dye to get a colour that deep on felt.
This was by far the most intense embroidery session for my machine! And it was still just recovering from Rainicorn :).
Well here's the finished piece. I'm actually really, really pleased with the way it turned out. I think it has that Adventure Time cartoon drawing feeling to it.
Hope you like my bespoke BMO case! And as always, if you would like me to create a bespoke creation for you, just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org! :)